Mortgage Rescue US

Full Service versus Do It Yourself

E-mail Print PDF

Full Service versus Do It Yourself

The material in this divorce package is for informational purposes only. Do not substitute the material herein for competent legal advice. Although, you have a RIGHT to represent yourself in Court, this package is not intended to be substituted for legal advice directed to your personal legal needs. The Legal Forms and Instruction Materials sold by Thompson, Sloan & Associates are designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject matter covered. They are sold with the understanding that the paralegals from this Firm are not engaged in rendering legal, accounting or other professional advice. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the services of a competent professional person should be sought.


1. Uncontested - This type of divorce is also referred to as no fault divorce.  This is when both parties (husband and wife) are in agreement with the divorce and has came to an agreement as related to property division, custody of children, support issues and more.  Both parties usually sign an agreement that is referred to as Marital Dissolution Agreement or Property Settlement Agreement.  This type of divorce is the simplest and quickest.


2. Contested - This type of divorce is also referred to as opposed divorce.  This is when one party (husband or wife) are not in agreement with the divorce or if they are in agreement with being divorced, they may be disputing child custody, property division and/or support and more.  One party initiates the divorce by filing a complaint or petition in court and the other party is served a copy of the complaint or petition with a summons.  If the party being served fails to appear in court, the party who initiated the divorce can obtain the divorce through default judgment.  This divorce is not as quick as the Uncontested Divorce.


3. Whereabouts - This type of divorce is also referred to as residential unknown divorce.  This is when the initiating party doesn't know where their spouse resides and cannot find him or her after diligent inquiry.  The missing spouse is served through publication in a local newspaper used by the court and/or by posting a notice of the divorce and requesting the missing spouse to come forth in a public place in the courthouse.  This process is not as quick as the Uncontested divorce but can, at sometimes be as quick as the Contested divorce.

You are here: Home